Friday, April 3, 2009

Teach an old dog.... old tricks

So i've been around racing for a lot of years... this will be 14... but i still make mistakes. I had a great week of training over march break, got lots of hours and was feeling really good on the bike. I decided to keep riding through my rest day, did some harder intervals and kept building hours hoping that the added load would make me even fitter. But then my body reminded me of that old saying "A rest day is just as important as a hard day".... so my body turned off for a day. I rode in to school on the Friday, felt horrible on the bike and for the whole morning, was sick at lunch and did nothing but sulk on the couch at nite. Some good sleep though and some good food had me feeling a lot better the next day, so it was much nicer to get my couple EASY hours on Saturday with Mark Batty who was home for a short visit. I'm not young anymore.... i need to remember that rest is crucial. So now i'm starting a few days of forced rest.... got "neutered" today so i'll be off the bike for a bit. But i actually think that the rest will be nice for my legs before starting it up with some hard stuff before the first race. Not something that you would see on many racer's blogs.... but i am a MASTER you know... Adam and Emily talk about their rides up Mount Lemmon.... i have other topics to share.... Just wanted to throw out a congrats to the crew down south at the NMBS races and heading to Sea Otter in a week or so. Great work at the start of a long season... i know you'll all do great at the next few races. I'll just hang out here with my bag of frozen peas....

No comments:

Post a Comment