Sunday, November 15, 2015

Why do I do this to myself??

So... haven't really ridden all that much lately (except for commuting to school once a week) and have been wanting to get back into Cyclocross this year ... but always afraid of how much it's going to hurt!!!
So with only a couple weeks left until Provincials, I figured it was time to clip in and make it happen... so I found a nice, new, "friendly" CX race in Vaughn that looked like fun.  It wasn't an Official OCA CX Event, so I figured it would be a bit less attended - and a bit less embarrassing when I sucked!!!
But, the nice weather brought out a big crowd, and the usual crew of riders who inflict great pain, but there was no-where to hide!!!
So off I go with the M1's and the Elites for 9 laps of the course.... 9 times through the sand, 9 times up the Belgian Run Up, 9 times up the Headwind Climb, 9 times over the log barriers, and 9 times the suffering!!!
This is when I was feeling good...
I wasn't quite able to hold onto Rob Holmgren's wheel, as much as I wanted to, but figured he had a bunch of races in his legs and deserved to be ahead of me.  So after passing several people who crashed on the uphill rutted slope (it wasn't that hard, was it?) I tried to hold off Anton Varabei near the end, but had NO GAS left in the tank, or strength left in my back... and was quite pleased to come across the line in 3rd for M1... maybe I'm not that bad after all!?!?!?!
Great to see lots of riders out at a new event, and all the details they put into the race to make it a fun one... except I missed the BBQ and had to settle for a cold Double Weiner Hot Dog as recovery food...

This is when I wanted to stop and throw up...
So now that I remember how it works, I might just make the drive to St. Catherine's for Provincials.... as long as it's warm, and smooth, and no-one starts fast, and poorly attended.... Then maybe I'll have a chance!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment