Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cottage Training Camp

Got back a few days ago from a great 10 day vacation / training camp at the cottage in the Muskoka's... we had amazing weather and the riding up there is spectacular. There are so many long and beautiful loops that you can do on the road up there that you never get bored of the scenery... and 3hr rides go by very quickly. Aside from spending lots of great quality time on my bike preparing for Provincials this weekend.... the rest of my days were spend fishing, swimming, playing and enjoying my the family.... and we had Jake's 4th birday and Luke's 6th birthdays while we were away. Such a great trip that we really didn't want to come home... but 'tis life sometimes.
Funny story about how small the world can be.... so i finish my 3hr ride (which in itself deserves the Rolo Ice Cream bar that i ate) and pull into the marina to get some gas in the boat. I notice the pretty young girl behind the counter and quickly suck in my gut before pulling out my credit car to pay. She smiles at me, looks me up and down and says "Trek Store Toronto.... my boyfriend's uncle owns that store"... to which I promptly say in a deep, manly voice "Who's his uncle?".... "Barry Near".... so we continue chatting about the store and riding and Barry... and i slowly let out my gut because i realize that she only looked me up and down because she was reading my clothing... :(
Before i head into another race weekend... and a big one for me at that... i just wanted to throw out a big thanks to everyone at the races that cheer me on... i may not always look your directions or recognize your voice... but i do always hear you and it motivates me. Yet another great thing about the sport is that spectators encourage everyone... not just their friends or families... but also their friend's competitors because we are all in our little worlds of suffering and hearing someone call your name and tell you that you look strong.. even when you don't feel that way... makes it that much less painful. So thanks to those of you who come out to cheer and those of you who follow my efforts through this blog... it all makes my legs just a little bit stronger.
And speaking of encouragement.... a huge best wishes and "telepathic transference of strength" goes out to Emily Batty who is competing at the World Championships next week....
Give 'em hell Em...

No comments:

Post a Comment