Sunday, July 19, 2015

Albion OCup Ouch!!

The OCup series returned to Albion Hills after a few years off.... and it was another great day for racing.... and a tough course for all!!  The famous Green Monster has returned to bite our legs... followed by the Wall of Pain to cramp our backs and 2-step finishing hill to really make sure you're beaten up before starting the lap all over again!!!

A much better start this race... and gap was created with Rob and I very early.... but this time  we had company!!!  A strong CX and road rider was stuck to our wheels... and was able to bridge back up on the climbs after we created a gap in the trees...


I did my best to control the pace of the race.... take charge of the singletrack, hills and double track... but some lapped riders started to play with my Real Estate of Attacks.... and we were a group of 3 heading into the final lap...

On the 2nd last piece of single track - a smooth, flowing downhill in the big pine trees - I tried to come up with a plan to stay as lead wheel going into the very end and try to squeeze out a finishing sprint win...

"OK Barnes.... on the last climb, the left side is the smooth side, so lock out the fork, go hard up the left, force them to pass on the rough side and stand all the way to the singletrack...."

Or so that WAS the plan... because halfway through my thought process, I was interrupted by a tree saying "Hey... you're not paying attention, I think I'll grab your handlebar and throw you on the ground...."

Clip... Whoa... Thump.... Urgghhh..... followed by "Yeah, I'm OK guys..."

But my bike has some twisted handlebars and a warped front wheel.... good enough to twist back and roll carefully to the finish... but a good reminder to Focus Focus Focus like Barry always says.....

The Boys were back at it again.... with a tough start staring them in the face and a really fast, high speed course to power through....

Great day for Luke finishing up in his usual 6th spot, but closer to the racer in front of him...


Great day for Jake finishing up in 8th and making it through a ride WITHOUT crashing!!!  (Unlike his daddy...)


No comments:

Post a Comment