Monday, July 6, 2015

Horseshoe CCup Hammer Fest!!

The first of a  Back to Back Canada Cup weekend started at Horseshoe Valley resort... and after last year's Mud Fest - it was great to see the sun shining and blue sky!!  We started the weekend with a Team Photo Shoot.... always fun trying to get all of us to smile at the same time!!



I have been working on my starts so that I don't have to use a Match to get back onto the faster starters, and was able to start clean and fast - and on the front set of wheels.
As we (Rob and I) started rolling, it was clear that we had broken away from the others fairly quickly and that it would be another battle of 2...


I decided that I wanted to take charge a bit more in the races - setting the pace, picking the lines and being in charge of passing lapped riders.... so I did my best to stay at the front and keep the foot on the gas.
I felt really good and put in a bunch of charges to test my legs, and knew that it would come down to a battle for the beginning of the final singletrack at the top of the long road climb.... but it would not come to that.


 Rob clipped something and flatted... giving me an uncontested ride to the end.  Thinking of Hardwood's race next weekend..... it doesn't mean that I could slow down at all, so I kept pushing hard and chasing anyone that I could see ahead of me.  I caught all but 1 of that Master 30-39 racers that started 2min ahead of us, and a great confidence boost going into some big races.
Now I just need to make sure that I eat properly and get some sleep during the 4 days in Montreal / Ottawa with the 120 Gr 8's that I'll be spending the next 4 days with!!!

The kids also had a great morning for a race, and we have been working hard on fitness, skill and race strategy.  Luke rode really well and pushed to keep up with the leaders, finishing a strong 6th place.

Jake made a come-back from his slow start to work up to 6th as well.  It's great to see the Boys (and the rest of the Hardwood Crew) ripping it up on the trails.  I'm loving coaching them and see everyone improve in their own ways.....


You don't have to be the best - you just need to always try your best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment