Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Hardwood Slip 'n Slide!!

Hardwood Hills... a place that I have typically really enjoyed racing at and have done pretty well at... was the next stop on the CCup Circuit, and it was a great course.  Long and tough... tons of power climbs rewarded with fast descents, groomed singletrack and tough features.... and threatening skies to make it all that much more fun!!!

The day started off with some sprinkles of rain and humidity high enough to guarantee there would be no drying out of the course... so it was time to throw on the XR2's for added traction and insurance in the trees....

After a HORRIBLE start ... "Go.... Barnes is in too big a gear, Barnes bumps shoulders with the guy beside him,  Barnes has to put his foot back down, Barnes finally finds his pedal, Barnes is in 12th spot at the top of the first climb, Barnes has to burn a Match to catch back up to the lead wheels and a chance to make up for my stupid-ness...."


Rob and I were back and forth for a lot of the race... and I tried to take as much control as I could.... and found myself waiting patiently behind him, waiting for my chance to take the lead and try to get a gap... so that is what I did going up the Feed Zone Climb at the start of my 3rd lap.... got a small gap going into Big Z and was just focused on putting people between us...


 When the Real Rain hit, and the dirt turned into grease and I knew that it was to my advantage... evening out Rob's greater power and allowing me to continue to build my lead....
From that point on... it was time to push as hard as my tires would let me and keep it upright in the trees..... and I crossed the line muddy and happy... 2 W's in 2 Weeks!!!


The Kids had some good races in the morning also, and had to make up for some bad starts as well!!!  Chasing is never an easy thing, but Luke worked his way back up to 6th spot and Jake found himself finishing 8th overall.  As tough as those starting climbs are for the Adults... it's even tougher watching those kids push their bikes up them!!!  Great work all around by THT - representing well on our Home Soil!!


Can't wait to see the PanAm Athletes battle it out on the same course..

No comments:

Post a Comment